The New York Islanders are vying for the Stanley Cup. After beating the Montréal Canadiens 4-2 on Wednesday evening at UBS Arena, the Isles advanced to the Stanley Cup playoffs for the first time since 2021. New York and the Florida Panthers are likely to be among the Eastern Conference’s wild-card teams.
The victory by the New York Islanders also eliminated the Pittsburgh Penguins from postseason contention. After a lengthy playoff streak in the NHL, NBA, NFL, and MLB, the Pens recently missed the playoffs in 2006.
It also happens to be the first time since 2006 that the playoffs will not feature Sidney Crosby of the Pittsburgh Penguins or Alexander Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals.
While most of the pairings have still to be determined, here is an outline of this year’s Stanley Cup playoff field following the Isles’ triumph.
Stanley Cup Playoffs Bracket 2023
The Bruins have clinched first place in the Eastern Conference with a home-ice advantage in the Stanley Cup playoffs in 2023. In the first round, the Maple Leafs and Lightning will face off.
- Boston Bruins: 64-12-5, 133 points
- Toronto Maple Leafs: 49-21-11, 109 points
- Tampa Bay Lightning: 45-30-6, 96 points
The Rangers have been placed on the Metropolitan Division’s third team. As a result, they will face the No. 2 seed, likely the Hurricanes or the Devils, in the first round.
- Carolina Hurricanes: 51-21-9, 111 points
- New Jersey Devils: 51-22-8, 110 points
- New York Rangers: 47-21-13, 107 points
Eastern Conference Wild Card
The Panthers will claim the No. 1 wild-card spot in the Eastern Conference if they defeat the Hurricanes on Thursday.
- New York Islanders: 42-31-9, 93 points
- Florida Panthers: 42-31-8, 92 points
None of these positions are currently open. The Wild and Stars have one regular-season game remaining, while the Avalanche have two.
- Dallas Stars: 46-21-14, 106 points
- Colorado Avalanche: 49-24-7, 105 points
- Minnesota Wild: 46-25-10, 102 points
The Kings have won the Pacific Division and will play the No. 2 seed, either the Golden Knights or the Oilers, in the initial round of the playoffs. Vegas will win the division if they defeat the Seattle Kraken on Thursday.
- Vegas Golden Knights: 50-22-9, 109 points
- Edmonton Oilers: 49-23-9, 107 points
- Los Angeles Kings: 46-25-10, 102 points
Western Conference Wild Card
Each of these teams is firmly established in their current positions.
- Seattle Kraken: 46-27-8, 100 points
- Winnipeg Jets: 46-32-3, 95 points
After April 12th, the Following Matchups are Expected
The 2023 Stanley Cup playoffs will start on April 17.
The Bruins are currently the gambling favorite to win the Stanley Cup at +350, according to DraftKings Sportsbook. The Avalanche has the best odds at +650.
- A1 Boston Bruins vs. WC2 Florida Panthers
- A2 Toronto Maple Leafs vs. A3 Tampa Bay Lightning
- M1 Carolina Hurricanes vs. WC1 New York Islanders
- M2 New Jersey Devils vs. M3 New York Rangers
- C1 Dallas Stars vs. WC1 Seattle Kraken
- C2 Colorado Avalanche vs. C3 Minnesota Wild
- P1 Vegas Golden Knights vs. WC2 Winnipeg Jets
- P2 Edmonton Oilers vs. P3 Los Angeles Kings